Search Our Database
Welcome to the database of more than 200,000 local names within local records that have been digitized, indexed, and preserved by the Santa Barbara County Genealogical Society. On the Database Record Collection Descriptions page, you can read more about these collections and see examples of record images.
More content is being added regularly. Check back often!
Last updated: March 25, 2023
Database Search Instructions
- Search the entire database or limit your search to the specific Categories and Locations (listed on the left side panel).
- Available search fields vary depending on the Category being searched (marriage dates are not available on Death Records, for example).
- To expand or collapse a list, click on the arrowhead [>] (to the left of Categories and/or Locations). Once a Category or Location has been expanded, click on the down arrowhead [∨] to collapse it and then see the list of options.
- Search criteria is not case-sensitive.
- If all search fields are blank, every record in the database will be listed.
- An asterisk (*) can be used as a wildcard in search fields (as a substitute for one or more characters in a name). For example, “s*” in the surname field returns all surnames that begin with the letter “s”.
- Typing in any field brings up available spelling options used to search in this field.
- Use the Keywords field to search for alternate spellings and names of your ancestor (aliases or nicknames, such as Whisky Pete).
- The Keywords field may contain additional information about your ancestor (such as juror, witness, military and professional credentials, etc.).