These land records cover years 1853 to 1896 for homestead declarations, mortgages, preemption and mining claims. These were filed in the Recorder's Office at the SB Co. Courthouse. To request a copy of a record contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for an example of these records
La Ladera in 1921 was located on East Valley Road near or on the corner of Buena Vista Ave. in Montecito. The owner of the residence was John Langdon Erving. Mr. Erving, who went by the name of J. Langdon Erving, was a farm manager and may have worked on the Crocker-Sperry Ranch across from his home on East Valley Road. He was from Rye, New York and had served in the Spanish-American War of 1898 for 6 months before mustering out in November 28, 1898 as a Corporal.
In the guest book of La Ladera are signatures and dates of many friends and family visiting from the East Coast. The first entry is 14 April 1914, and the last entry is dated Feb 22nd 1931 with this comment: "A momentous occasion! Washington's birthday . . . and the first to have the honor of signing their names in the lovely new house." There were no entries after that date. In the 1930 US Census for Santa Barbara, the family is living at 75 Hill Rd., rented, one servant. In the 1932-33 City Directory, the Ervings are living on the La Fuente Estate, 110 Las Tunas Rd. Mr. Erving died in 1933 in Santa Barbara, CA.
Thanks go to Susan Lundt for scanning the book and to JoAnn Treloar for indexing it. See page 1 below.